National Diabetes Week: It’s About Time
9 July 2018: This years National Diabetes Week continues the “It’s About Time” theme, reinforcing the need to detect all types of diabetes earlier, and take preventative measures seriously before it’s too late. National Diabetes week is nationally recognised and will run from the 9-15th July.
Recent statistics from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare state that the prevalence of diabetes (based on self-reported data) has tripled between 1989–90 and 2014–15.
Diabetes Australia supports this and adds further shocking statistics such as:
- Around 1.7 million Australians have diabetes.
- 280 Australians develop diabetes every day. That’s one person every five minutes
- More than 100,000 Australians have developed diabetes in the past year.
- Total annual cost impact of diabetes in Australia estimated at $14.6 billion.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of preventable blindness in Australia.
- There are more than 4,400 amputations every year in Australia as a result of diabetes.
- Diabetes is the fastest growing chronic condition in Australia; increasing at a faster rate than other chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
- For every person diagnosed with diabetes there is usually a family member or carer who also ‘lives with diabetes’ every day in a support role. This means that an estimated 2.4 million Australians are affected by diabetes every day.
Nexba Beverages recognises the undisputed link between sugar consumption and diabetes, both directly and indirectly. With Australians consuming the weight of over 1.9million kangaroos worth of sugary drinks every year and diabetes sitting as the 7th highest cause of death in Australia now is the time to start getting serious about sugar consumption and educating Aussies on the effects of sugar in out diet.
It’s statistics like those above that quite frankly p*** us off hence why we are so passionate about serving our fellow Aussies with quality naturally sugar free products to show our bodies some love.