MCN upfront reveals 2013 Turner kids programming
Wednesday, 13 March, 2013: Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific (Turner) and Multi Channel Network (MCN) have treated agencies around the country to a sneak peak of Turner’s popular Cartoon Network and Boomerang channels’ programming, due to be released this year.
The upfront includes an impressive line up of newly acquired and returning kids content as well as new digital integration initiatives and innovative apps for the children’s channels.
Turner’s Cartoon Network and Boomerang channels experienced significant audience growth during 2012 against all key demographics, with Cartoon Network doubling its girls 5 – 12 audience and Boomerang increasing male 5 – 12 viewers by 83%. The channels were the only kids STV channels that had increased audience share for kids 5 – 12 year-on-year.*
Turner’s National Ad Sales Director, Melissa Fitzgerald, said Turner’s ratings success across the board in 2012 prepared the network for an even more exciting year of television.
“In addition to the network’s returning hit series, Australian kids can expect to enjoy a bigger focus on comedy and action-adventure shows from Cartoon Network this year, plus a channel refresh for Boomerang has successfully delivered a new audience in an environment where kids can laugh, play and view with the whole family,” she said.
Cartoon Network will continue to showcase big brands such as the ASTRA award-winning series The Amazing World of Gumball, Emmy® award-winning series Regular Show, Adventure Time and Ben 10: Omniverse. Earlier this year, the network premiered the hugely successful DreamWorks Dragons: Riders of Berk. Still to come is Total Drama: Return to the Island and Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 5. Partnerships with LEGO, Hasbro and Mattel will bring comedy and action series based content like LEGO: Legends of Chima, Beyblades: Metal Fury, Transformers Prime Season 2 and Max Steel to screens across the country.
New content will also feature on Boomerang with Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated to debut in July, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 2 and Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot launching in March, followed by all new series of Horrid Henry, Pound Puppies, Woody Woodpecker and The Adventures of Peter Pan. Boomerang favourites such as Tom and Jerry, The Adventures of Chuck and Friends and the Looney Tunes series will also continue.
As a result of Turner’s continual development in digital content and online integration, Cartoon Network is the leading STV channel site for entertaining and engaging content.
Fitzgerald added: “The deep level of online audience engagement and Turner’s ongoing commitment to app development has shaped the network’s digital roadmap for 2013 and beyond.
“Research has showed that kids are interested in extending their consumption of shows to additional screens, so the network is making program engagement a key priority this year by mirroring each program’s on-air content on mini-sites to increase interaction between viewers,” she said. “A variety of apps will also be launched throughout the year – watch this space!”
*Source: OzTAM (National STV). Overnights. Time Analysis : Average Audience, Relative Share %. Kids and Family Channels : Kids 5 – 12, Boys 5 – 12, Girls 5 – 12. 2012 vs 2011 (0600-2359).
Cartoon Network programming in 2013:
· DreamWorks Dragons: Riders of Berk – Following directly after the events of How to Train Your Dragon movie, Riders of Berk follows Hiccup as he tries to keep balance within the new cohabitation of Dragons and Vikings. Launched February 2013.
· LEGO: Legends of Chima – A powerful new action-adventure series around the mystical land of Chima. Debuts March 2013.
· Total Drama: Return to the Island – This is the fourth season of the series and sends thirteen brand-new contestants back to the island that started all the drama. Debuts March 2013.
· Beyblade: Metal Fury – The series features Gingka and company as they travel the world in search for the ten “Legendary Bladers” needed to defeat Nemesis, the God of Destruction. Debuts April 2013.
· Max Steel – A high-octane, action-packed superhero series about the epic adventures of earthbound teenager Maxwell McGrath and his out-of-this-world friend Steel. Debuts April 2013.
· Transformers Prime – The TRANSFORMERS saga starts a new chapter as old foes return, legendary heroes rise, and new ones are found in unlikely places. Debuts April 2013.
· Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Join the Grand Army of the Republic, led by Yoda, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and other Jedi Knights, as they continue the fight with the New Droid Army of the Separatists. Debuting September 2013.
· The Tom and Jerry Show – The iconic cat and mouse rivals are back in a fresh take on the classic series. Broadcast date TBC.
· Teen Titans Go! – The show sees the return of Robin, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and Cyborg in an all-new comedic adventure. Broadcast date TBC.
· Beware the Batman – A new take on the classic Dark Knight Franchise. Broadcast date TBC.
Boomerang programming in 2013:
· The Garfield Show – Everyone’s favourite cat, Garfield, returns to television in this new CG animated cartoon. To celebrate his 30th anniversary, favourite characters return to the show, including Jon, Odie, Arlene, Nermal, and more! Debuted December 2012, with new episodes continuing in January 2013.
· Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-lot – Set in the magical in-the-air land of Care-a-lot, Tenderheart Bear, Cheer Bear, Grumpy Bear, Share Bear, Harmony Bear, Funshine Bear and new playful, curious cub Wonderheart Bear, all go on adventures that emphasise messages of caring and sharing. Debuts March 2013.
· My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic – The show follows a studious unicorn pony named Twilight Sparkle, her mentor Princess Celestia and her fellow pony friends, who share adventures, all the while learning lessons about managing their own friendships. Debuts April 2013.
· Horrid Henry – For Horrid Henry, life is just not fair! He feels that the rest of the world is against him and he wages a constant war against the tyranny of adults. Debuts June 2013.
· Pound Puppies – The Pound Puppies are a group of dogs that spend most of their time at Shelter 17. Together with a group of squirrels, they operate a secret and highly sophisticated underground facility beneath the pound, aimed at finding puppies or even grown dog’s owners. Debuts July 2013.
· Barbie Movies:
o The Princess and the Popstar – debuts July 2013.
o Princess Charm School – debuts August 2013.
· Woody Woodpecker – Remake of the children’s animated series about a mischievous bird with a hysterical laugh. Debuts October 2013.
– ends –
Sarah Tsiros, Launch Group firstname.lastname@example.org (02) 9492 1034 / 0466 805 364
About Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific:
Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, (Turner) creates and distributes award-winning, branded news and entertainment media environments on television, and other platforms around the Asia Pacific region and beyond. A leader in the Asia Pacific television and media business, Turner offer a total of 18 branded channels in nine languages reaching hundreds of millions of viewers in 31 countries via 29 feeds.
Turner’s Asia Pacific brands include CNN International, CNNj, CNN, HLN, Cartoon Network, Cartoonito, Boomerang, Pogo, Toonami, TCM Turner Classic Movies, truTV, WB, HBO, HBO HITS, HBO DEFINED, QTV, MONDO TV and TABI CHANNEL. The Turner brands are available in interactive, non-linear formats, reflecting the company’s innovative and industry- leading approach to delivering compelling content whenever, wherever.
Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS), a Time Warner company. For more information, visit www.turnerasiapacific.com
About Multi Channel Network (MCN):
Established in 1997, MCN is a joint venture between FOXTEL, Premier Media Group and Foxtel Networks. MCN is responsible for the advertising interests of 55 national STV channel brands, 72 channel and independent websites, 61 mobile sites, 40 apps and 3 IPTV services. MCN is the only media company in Australia to offer the complete range of digital interactive television advertising solutions via the remote control – red button, green button and on demand advertising. MCN’s online network is Australia’s 7th largest commercial online network, with a monthly reach of 7m unique browsers. For more information: www.MCN.com.au